The Diva’s challenge this week: “Tipple – love it or hate it?” I finally found a little time late last night to finish one I started the night before. Still can’t decide if it’s finished or not, but think I’ll enter it and post it here. Usually, I like tipple, although I have problems with getting the filling between the orbs all colored in. It’s a nice relaxing, comforting tangle, it doesn’t expect anything like perfection, it requires that you slow down and focus, it fills the space allowed, a satisfying way to end the day before retiring. . .
Happy Monday! This tile was inspired by a really beautiful one I saw on facebook. . . and wanted to try my hand at it. It’s done on a regular zendala, so you can tell some of the tangles are really small. Like it, but it’s not what i really wanted. I’ll try another one when I have time.
I don’t know if I’m up to the Diva’s challenge this week. Last week either, which was monotangle of dex. This week it’s a monotangle challenge also, using bales, which I love, but using only our non-dominant hand. I tried that once and it was a great learning experience. Will see if I work it in. . .
here’s my entry for Sandy Bartholomew’s contest. . . haven’t been very pleased with any of my entries. I ususally love her tangles but she’s chosen a few hard ones, except for the first. Also, I keep thinking about how zentangle isn’t about contests and ‘winning’ and that may be putting me off a little too. The challenges are more fun, we post our entries and everyone gets to look and admire the results, as well as gain some inspiration and ideas, it’s freely sharing what we’ve done and I like that concept much better. I remember Maria and Rick posting in a newsletter a while back that they were glad they hadn’t seen any contests popping up for this exact reason. All that said, I did a tile last night with hemp, maybe I’ll enter it and maybe not. . .
Saturday my sister and I took a Zentangle Jewelry class at Guadalupe’s rubber stamp store in Santa Fe. It was interesting, but not something we’re going to take up. . . so many steps and so much equipment and chemicals. And we needed much more time to do the etching and making sure the patterns were on the copper correctly even before the etching, could have use a little more time making the tangle patterns too. . . but definitely interesting. Only one of the four pieces came close to turning out as expected, a little disappointing for a whole day’s ‘work’.
these are small (maybe 1.5″ sq) copper pieces, we put the tangle patterns on them with print n peel paper, then into etching solution, then put the dry enamel on them, heat, then fire them in a kiln. Add some embellishments like glass beads, silver foil, then fire them, add enamel to the back, and fire again. They are in the order of how well they turned out. The last one was supposed to be phicops, but the pattern didn’t stay on the copper so it looks like a glop. . . as does the third one. I might add the bale to the first one, although the glass beads kinda slipped and are off center.
The Rubber Stamp store always has a lot of new fun stuff. This time I bought some Twinkling H20 paints on sale and come copper sheets to do embossing on. More on those later. . .
Well, I’ll post this first try of embossing on pewter. Learned a lot, and hopefully the next try will be better. Not sure I had the right embossing ‘instrument’ so may try something else. The pewter is sprayed with matte black paint, embossed on the other side, then the painted side is sanded with steel wool. Think I have to spray it with matte enamel to protect it. Then figure out how to frame or display it.
I think you have to be careful with the tangle patterns you use, and use more with solid areas that show up better. It was a fun, learning project. I sprayed another piece with a different paint, not sure how it will look. Have one other piece of pewter, and a couple of copper. So plenty to practice on. . . These pieces are about 6″ x 6″ square.
There hasn’t been time to work on the diva’s challenge this week which is UMT: henna drum. It’s a favorite tangle of mine, so I have used it before. These two tiles were done recently. The first one because I just felt the need to start a tile with that tangle, and add other flowing tangles to go with it. It’s one of those organic tiles that just grew with no plans. The other was done for a challenge to use straight strings. It was kind of boring so I added a little color with my sharpie pens. I’m really going to try to do a new one before the challenge is over. . .